Login FormLost your password?
Manufacturing Apprentice, Sowerby Bridge
The purpose of this apprenticeship will be to initially support the manufacturing function by training in all aspects of standard manufacturing and creative manufacturing with the focus being on fabric processing in the aim to develop personal skills and departmental skills to meet the on-going demand. In addition to this training will be given in office based skills within manufacturing to ensure a good understanding in all aspects of manufacturing.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
• Learning to request, inspect, measure and cut fabric to a high quality standard to enable use in the manufacturing of drapes and learn to efficiently carry out quality checks and fault identification during the process
• Training in the folding, movement and squaring of fabric / drapes to the correct size and quality to ensure every order is manufactured to the required standard.
• Follow correct manufacturing procedures at ALL times in adherence with departmental & company policies and report any discrepancies to your Supervisor immediately. If at any time you are unsure, ask your Supervisor.
• Learn to carry out basic servicing on the sewing machines that includes cleaning & lubrication of the machine.
• Learn the basics of sewing operation including how & why we perform certain practices to aide in the efficient production of orders.
• Ensure any and all assignments given in relation to the apprenticeship are carried out in a timely manner and delivered on time.
• Assist the sewing team as and when required with the folding, movement and cutting of cloth / drapes to ensure the efficiency of the department does not suffer.
• Understand custom drawings and how they apply to drapery ensuring the customer requirements are foremost.
• Ensure all work time is scanned using the hand held scanners including productive and non-productive time and a written record of jobs carried out is completed. Any problems with scanning time should be immediately reported to your Supervisor so this can be adjusted.
• Maintain a good level of attendance at all times and inform your immediate supervisor of any absence immediately in accordance with company policy.
• When attending work, either on or off site always ensure Company work wear provided is worn.
• Ensure personal work space is kept clean and tidy at all times and when required assist with departmental cleaning as instructed by your Supervisor.
• Verbally inform your Supervisor when the current job being worked upon is completed so the job can be moved away quickly so work on the next job can be started.
• Maintain a basic level of Health & Safety in all work practices and ensure where necessary any supplied PPE is utilized.
• Participate in and promote any Company schemes or Policies as and when required to further the development of the department and /or Company. In all work and practices ensure the J&C Joel values are exhibited.
• Challenge existing work practices within the department to improve service and efficiency levels ensuring the Manufacturing Supervisors are kept informed at all times.
• Any other ad-hoc duties considered reasonable, as requested by the Manufacturing Production Manager.
The above duties, albeit being quite specific, are not all exhaustive and there may be times when other requirements are expected to carry out the role of Manufacturing Supervisor to the expectations of the Company.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Quality driven and a fine eye for detail.
• Punctual & reliable.
• Flexible & adaptable to new ideas.
• Basic computer knowledge to allow use of ERP system
• Ability to follow detailed written instructions based on quality specifications is essential.